Moissanite has become a quintessential choice for most couples. This is because of the affordability, appearance, and sustainability. Though the concept of exchanging diamond rings hasn’t become obsolete, Moissanite has become the new trend and a perfect substitute for diamond rings. Because it is the new trend, you need to know certain important things about this stone and the differences between diamond and Moissanite to know why Moissanite is the best alternative.
Is Moissanite the same as a diamond?
The answer is NO! Though Moissanite is a good alternative to a diamond stone, they aren’t the same thing. Moissanite is a separate gemstone and has different chemical compositions, hardness, and shine than diamond. Diamond is a pure carbon but Moissanite is carbon silicate. This indicates that Moissanite will better clean up oil and dirt than a diamond ring.
Besides this, another important thing to note is here is that unlike diamonds, Moissanite is a man-made stone and it can be shaped differently as compared to diamonds. Hence, choosing the best Moissanite ring, for instance, Forever One Moissanite is one of the best colorless Moissanite ring. On top of that, there’s no need for mining and is a super sustainable option.
What are the different grades of Moissanite rings?
Yes! Moissanite has different grades. During the initial stages, the technology progressed to an extent where it could only make yellow-green colored stones. This is the first invention as far as Moissanite rings are concerned and are known as the classic rings. Besides this, this stone is also available in colorless variants as people want a perfect replacement for diamond rings during engagements. You can find colored as well as colorless and near-colorless rings in the market! So as you can see, people can enjoy a lot of varieties.
Moissanite vs. diamond- Things to know:
Now that you know that diamond and Moissanite is not the same thing, it’s important to know their differences.
• Hardness-The hardness and strength of stone are measured in the Mohs scale which is the parameter to judge the capability of a gem to withstand scratches. On the Mohs scale, a diamond scores 10 but Moissanite scores 9.25. It means that a diamond is highly sturdy and durable and can resist scratches. Moissanite is close to 10 and therefore it can be considered as the best alternative of the diamond since it can withstand the wear and tear caused due to regular usage.
• Color– Diamonds are colorless and are not available in a variety of shades. But as far as Moissanite is concerned, it is available in different color combinations because it is a man-made gem. Besides this, colorless diamonds do not project any color shade but colorless Moissanite can project a grayish or yellow color shade. However, the shades are visible and more apparent only if the gems are big.
• Brilliance– A gem can give a shining appearance. Both the gems have different sparkling ways as their faceting patterns aren’t the same. The sparking effect works on the same principle of the rainbow effect. It means that how light passes through the gems and gets reflected in colors. Moissanite emits more fire than diamond because the light enters the stone and gets refracted into two colors. But diamond doesn’t face this double refraction due to which its brilliance is less than Moissanite.
• Price- One of the biggest factors that entice the customers is the price of the Moissanite rings. Diamond is a luxurious stone and it’s not always possible for everyone to afford it. But when it comes to Moissanite, the prices are less expensive without any compromise on the quality. The cost however depends on the quality and size of the ring. On top of that, Moissanite unlike diamonds is man-made and this is one of the reasons why it is cheaper than diamonds. One carat Moissanite starts from $400, whereas the price of a diamond is $4000 for one carat.
These are some of the differences between the two of them and if you compare it, you’ll find that Moissanite is not the best alternative but also a fashionable piece that is perfect for grand occasions like wedding engagements. Now that you’ve learned the basic differences, now you should check out the advantages of buying Moissanite rings.
Pros of buying Moissanite rings:
Here mentioned are some of the amazing benefits of buying Moissanite rings for wedding engagements.
• It is ethically produced and is lab-grown– One of the biggest advantages is that Moissanite is man-made and is grown in a lab under suitable conditions. These are ethically produced- meaning to say that unlike natural diamonds, Moissanite is produced without causing harm to anyone or anything. Natural diamonds are available miles under the earth and it has to be taken out through digging. Heavy machinery is used causing pollution and the miners have to work under dangerous working conditions. Therefore, Moissanite is an ethical choice.
• It is less expensive– Moissanite, depending on the size and shape is much cheaper than real diamonds. The price of a diamond is four times more than that of Moissanite rings. But the best thing about Moissanite is that these gems are not only less expensive but they also look similar to a diamond. This is one of the reasons why couples prefer buying Moissanite instead of diamonds.
• Available in a variety of colors– Another striking feature of Moissanite ring is that it is available in multiple colors.
• It is highly brilliant– As mentioned above, Moissanite generates extra sparkle because of double refraction. As per the Brilliance Refractive Index, Moissanite has greater shine than diamond. The BRI of Moissanite ranges from 2.65 to 2.69, whereas it is 2.42 for diamonds.
Which is the best-Moissanite or diamond? This is an ongoing debate and it entirely depends on the personal choice of an individual. For some, diamonds are the best choice as it reflects tradition and on the other hand, some are willing to accept Moissanite as the best choice.